Colin Burchall said to Jim Coon,

CB> When power is restored, the first thing the deck does is write the TOC out
CB> to disc, if an update is pending.  A similar situation occurs when
CB> performing timer recording using an external timer, and the instructions
CB> say that the deck must be connected back to power within one month, or the
CB> contents of the recording may be lost.

The manuals to the Sony decks I own promise only one week.

CB> What will actually be lost is the TOC information in RAM, and a simple
CB> TOC cloning operation would restore the playability of the recording.

Yes, but if the tracks whose TOC entries are unsaved are fragmented,
recovery through TOC cloning is a tedious process.  Fortunately, the 520 in
RCD mode allows dividing a track exactly on a cluster boundary, making reas-
sembly of fragments a lot less difficult.

Graham Baker responded,

GB> Actually they were held in memory until you ejected the disc, at that
GB> point the memory contents were written to the disc.

No, Colin is right.  If a Sony MD deck loses power while the TOC is dirty
and power is restored before the TOC memory fades, it will write the TOC
to the disc immediately upon restoration of electrical power.  That is a
third situation, in addition to disc ejection or turning the unit off (with
its on/standby switch, not by disconnecting power), when a Sony deck will
save a dirty TOC.