Gaz wrote,

| My "religious beliefs" more or less exclude me from being likely to live in
| a church with "bats in the belfry".

A building with a belfry needn't be a church, and you needn't live in the
building to have a belfry (you could be its landlord).  After all, my
religious beliefs don't lend themselves to that architectural style either.

| I knew who was meant by your comment however and still think Colin's cousin
| listened to the discs with his eyes rather than his golden ears.

Back to the topic for a moment, I think few of us could tell the difference
between a copy made by analog transfer through the line-out and one made by
analog transfer through the headphone jack, at least if bass boost is turned
off.  People have said in the past that the headphone jacks on Sharp portable
records (not sure about playback-only models) have some way to detect whether
the other end of the cord has headphones or an input to another machine and
to set impedance and other variables accordingly.

| Actually I was thinking of a backup reference media, aka a "Book", remember
| those things anyone, you know paper and ink ;-)

Sure.  A small one came with each of my MiniDisc units.