Sorry if this is a duplicate.  My connection dropped just as I was
dispatching the first attempt to post this.

Geoff Good wrote,

| Sometime back someone on this list stated how to modify a data CD-R on a
| computer CD-Writer to enable it to be written to by a stand-alone audio
| CD writer.  I would appreciate it if that person could re-iterate how to
| do this.

As Mike Schuster has already said, that doesn't happen.  Once the CD-R is
manufactured nothing can modify the ID bytes.

What has been posted here is a trick that works on some of standalone CD-R
recorders (certain older Pioneers, I think), where you insert an audio CD-R
and somehow swap a data CD-R for it in such a way that the unit does not
recheck the ID bytes, so it believes that it is working with an audio CD-R.
There is no alteration to the CD-R's ID bytes themselves.