Jough Dempsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Let's see... a short spin of a little wheel... or a repetitive pushing of a
>button...
>
>The 702 is a chore to title with.  A jog dial is a superiour method of
>selecting most items than a button is.  Buttons should only have to be used
>if the list is very short.  I don't think a list of ~80 characters
>constitutes "short".  The jog dial is quicker and less stressful to the
>hand than many button pushes are.
>
>Sure, if people title a lot they may get RSI, but they're few and far
>between.  If you do *anything* enough (like say, push buttons perhaps) you
>*could* get an RSI.
>
>As I've said before, if your R30's jog dial gives you pain, it's probably
>broken and not able to spin properly.

Jough:

That is your personal opinion, but it is not necessarily true from an
ergonomic standpoing. As someone who has had some pretty bad RSI
injuries, and hence had quite a bit of RSI training, I can say quite
confidently that *used* *properly* the button approach is much less
likely to give you an RSI than the Sony jog dials.

Long version: The Sharp buttons require much less force to push than the
Sony dial (mainly because the Sony dial both rotates and depresses, so
they have to add "stiffness" to the depression so you don't accidentally
depress when you're trying to rotate). If you title on the Sharps by
holding the character advance/reverse buttons down rather than repeatedly
pressing them, you are using much less "downward" force on the Sharps. In
addition, the dial on the Sony requires that your thumb (or finger if you
go that way) must make many, many short, repetitive movements as you roll
your thumb over the wheel. On the Sony, titling a single song with a 30
character title requires 30-90 repetitive motions just to get to the
correct letters (assuming one to three "rotations" for each letter), plus
30 depressions of the stiff jog dial. On the Sharp, it requires 30
press-and-holds of the character selection buttons (which require much
less force) and 30 light depressions (to "set" each letter). From an
ergonomic standpoint, the Sharp isn't great, but the Sony jog dial on the
MZR50 is an absolute nightmare.

That's the ergonomic review. From a "convenience" point of view, titling
on the Sharp is slooooow. You can definitely title much quicker on the
Sony. I've gotten where I can pretty much hit each letter on the nose
with one "roll" of my thumb. But when I'm speed-titling, my thumb/hand
starts to hurt pretty quick -- it's not a good thing to do for too long.

I usually end up not titling my MDs. My girlfriend's Sharp is too slow,
and the Sony hurts after a while unless I slow down and add enough
variety to my movements to avoid the repetition -- making it, too, slow.
I'm about ready to go buy a component deck just to title ;-)