Hello all,

  I finally decided to blow some money by purchasing a portable recorder.
After reading up on all the good and bad on all of the lower-cost units,
I settled on this one. I've got it and I've been fooling with it for a
little while now and I think I'm gonna like it, especially if/when that
$50 rebate check comes! Anyway, I got a few questions about the unit...

  Can someone please explain the auto power save function to me? Maybe
I'm just not thinking right (not unusual) but it just doesn't seem to
make sense. The manual says when you turn OFF the auto power save
function, it reverts to the full 10 second shock buffer. When ON, it says
the buffer is between 5-10 seconds. This sounds bassackwards to me;
wouldn't the full 10 seconds of memory offer longer battery life than
just, say, 5?

  Also, I wonder how it determines the amount of time (it specifically
says "5-10 seconds of sound information is stored in memory" when on)
when the auto power save feature is on?

  On last thing: I noticed (again in the manual) that it states that mono
recordings made on the unit won't play in other units. This is both
contrary to what I've heard about the MD standard and what I've witnessed
playing mono (and mono/stereo mix) discs in my two Sony units... Are
there any MD units out there that *won't* play mono discs?

  Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can offer! :-)

~Zach
o/~ she's sick of all the formula bands, for something not quite so bland
o/~
o/~ no more New Kids on the Block, she loves to hear the discobigrock o/~