At 05:43 PM 8/31/99 +1000, Col wrote:

>Andres Mino wrote:
>
>>Hi, I heard that the ProspecMSP730 Digital Signal Processor do NOT decode
>>the protection that DVD digital audio has.
>
>The only protection that the digital output of a DVD player has from
>recording is SCMS.  If you are playing a DVD audio disc and find that you
>can't record it, either it is SCMS final in which case a stripper will fix
>it, it is a sample rate that your recorder cannot handle, or it is a
>compressed format such as DTS or AC-3.  Most DVD players can downsample 96
>KHz audio for S/PDIF output, and can decode AC-3 2.0 to normal 2 channel
>LPCM, which will then be recordable by your MD deck.  If the DVD contains
>three or more channels of audio and the player is outputting the raw coded
>data, you'll need a digital amp with the facility to decode, downmix, and
>digitally output the sound in order to record it.

And just to add that all DVD video discs I have tried prohibit digital
audio copying. i.e. they are SCMS zero, even when conversion is done from
AC-3 to PCM, or when PCM is present on the disc. Of course, analogue copies
are possible, and with a 24 bit DAC rated for 96kHz, they would be pretty
good analogue copies. (Recorder permitting, naturally.)

--
Archer
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6413/

End.