David Sice continued,

| The general view is that it is better to write a new track and then 'move'
| it to the desired location. Agreed.
|
| However, my situation is that the minidisc machine (MDS-E11) is under remote
| control and in a remote location so it is not possible to verify audio
| against track numbering 'with your eyes or ears' so to speak.

I do not understand.  From the location where you operate the machine, you
are able to insert the disc on which a track is to be replaced, to position
play to the start of a that track, to connect the correct input source, to
initiate recording, and to eject the disc, but not able to delete or rese-
quence tracks?

| That is why I needed to 'replace' one recorded track for another whilst
| maintaining the original track numbering.

And it won't work to restore the original track numbering before you walk
away?

| Really, all I really need is to be able to be absolutely sure that a certain
| track number always has the audio content that I think it should have.

That's why we all said to renumber the new track to the logical position of
the old track that it replaced.  Maybe what you need is a recorder on which
one can delete and renumber from the remote control.