>Seriously, David, once you've sampled at any particular resolution, you
>cannot improve the resolution by ANY kind of magic handwaving, no matter
>how
>expensive the box.

You certainly can. That's what Dennon's Alpha Processing does, that's what
made audio alchemy famous, and that's what many new devices are trying to do
with dither. That's what happens to images on your PC when you enlarge them
with "smoothing".

Now...do you get back details that were never recorded? Of course not. You
can't put back something that can't predict. But you can take a
choppy-low-level 16-bit waveform and replace it with the sine-like-wave that
should have been there. That's what this (and others) device does.

The algorithm works by taking a series of samples and analyzing the
patterns. Next, based on the way natural sine-waves in nature look, the
algorithm adjusts bits using whatever resolution you've selected to look
more like "real" sine-wave resonances.

Are you creating a signal that looks like a 20-bit signal transfered from
the same original recording? Probably not. The algorithm makes assumptions
about the way it thinks musical waves are "supposed" to look. But the bottom
line is that it really smooths out the highs from 16-bit digital and gives
you a greater sense of detail.

At least that's what all the electrical engineers, computer programmers and
scientists who designed the Pro32 think. Geeky audiophiles like me just
happen to agree that it sounds that way :)

-dave