John, aka pupu, wrote,

| I think if someone owns and primarily uses a Sony portable with the
| End Search button and can't remember to press it before recording
| something new, it's not Sony's fault of poor design. I think I
| recorded over something once when I first got it, but learned my
| lesson the first time.

"Primarily" is the operative word there.  While the MZ-R3 was my only unit,
I never once forgot to press END SEARCH.

But after I got some decks and got used to having the record function seek
open space unless told not to, that's when I started to forget to press the
END SEARCH button on the R3.  I forgot only twice, but that's twice too many,
plus there was the time when the END SEARCH setup spoiled a recording for me
even though I wasn't supposed to press the key.  [I was editing a disc and,
upon finishing, reached for the EJECT slid, missed it, and slid RECORD in-
stead.  One member here, when I related the incident just after it happened,
berated me for having the write-protect closed, as if I were supposed to edit
with it open or somehow close it before ejecting the disc.  That's why such
people are known as "members."]