In a message dated 9/6/1999 6:47:19 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> >I recieved this message from a friend. It is a simple precaution that
>  >can be taken.  I don't know if it will help anything, but it can't hurt
>  >anything either.
>
>  Oh yes it can. It's a so called "thought virus" that eats up your
>  and other people's time and computer resources(= money) just like
>  those fake e-mail virus warnings you get all the time. People
>  just read this crap, panic, and proceed to follow the orders
>  given by the e-mail without really thinking about the contents.

Actually, this is what I thought when I first received this message from
another source about a month ago.  But just to be on the safe side, I
forwarded it to a good friend who works at Microsoft (not a "I heard it from
a friend who heard it from a friend" deal, I have known this guy since
elementary school.)  He responded, surprisingly enough, this is *exactly*
what a Microsoft internal Web page has insructed its own employees to do to
ensure full Y2K compatibility.  I know it sounds far-fetched, but better safe
than sorry...

Clay Voris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]