The artist formerly known as James Caran wrote:
> I would love if someone could suggest a
> model(s) for me.

Just about any of the portables will work well for what you want to do.
Sony has END SEARCH button to contend with and you WILL lose some
recording because of it. However, Sony also has time and date stamp on
some of the models and that is very handy. They also have Automatic
record level control, which is very handy if you want to record
something and not have to worry about setting levels.  You can override
this function and set level manually if you want.

Sharp has manual record level control, no date stamp, and can make
errors in the digitized sound that may result in small clicks appearing
in your recording, but this is rare even if it does happen.

They will all sound a lot better than (hiss, hiss) tape.

Portables don't have digital out.

There are several stereo mikes on the market, or if you are handy, you
can make one that I designed for about $10.  Here is a web site that has
files that I recorded with the home-brew mike and my trusty Sony R-30
recorder.   I copied  them to the computer, and edited them, converted
them to MP3 and posted to a web site.   I used the Demo version of Cool
Edit to work with the files on the computer.  I recorded from the analog
line out because portables don't have a digital out.  I used a Sound
Blaster Live Value sound card.  I haven't had a chance to try the
digital out form the Hoontech card.

  http://members.tripod.com/Liteways/index.html  There is also a link to
the mike construction project.

There is also a link to Sound Professionals in case you want to  buy a
stereo mike.

I am not familiar with the Mac computer.

> this is what I really want it to do:
>         1)To record live audio using a Stereo Mic (that is another thing I
> could use suggestions on...)
>         2)Load this audio onto my mac into Digital Performer and other
> audio programs for edit/additions.  I have a mac G3 with firewire and
> USB connections, so I want to try to get a digital out.  I haven't yet
> seen a portable with optical out.  Even if I do, will this work with my
> computer?
>         I have a decend amount of experience with general audio and
> computer audio, but this is my first minidisk endeavor.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated and welcomed.  :)  Nice to be here...
>
>                                 -=James

Cool name.

--
Jim Coon