When I wrote code back in the 60's and 70's using FORTRAN, we would read
the data, then check for 999999 and if that apeared, we  interpreted it
as End Of File and the program then processed the  apropriate code to
stop reading the data and do the calculations and print the report.
When you read a record with FORTRAN, the read statement tells what the
numbers mean by the position of the numbers.  I doubt that any of  that
code still is running except on the ancient machines we still have at
work,  a Buroughs B 1900 and  Control Data  1700 series mainframes.
They run FORTRAN and COBOL, I will let you know if they crash tomorrow.
:)

--
Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker