Hello:

Lost_Sailor wrote:

> > go to www.soundprofessionals.com.........they are very high quality ....I
> > believe you can get a basic set of binaural mics for $69!!
> >
> > Mikey
>
> While it's true that Sound Professionals provide a decent mic for the money,
> I believe the mic you're referring to is an AT853 based capsule from
> Audiotechnica.

Actually, our $69 mic is not an Audio technica mic. The $69 mic system uses
Panasonic mic elements.

> And I personally wouldn't want to use the 853 for anything
> crucial. The AT922 setup they offeer

Hmmm...I couldn't find an AT922 on their product list....possibly you are
referring to the AT933?

> is a much better deal since it's a much
> better performer.

Actually, it's performance is exactly the same as the AT853's...it uses most of
the same mic elements, so they sound identical when using the elements that they
share (Omni, subcardioid, cardioid or hypercardioid elements). The 933 does have
one additional element available..... the shotgun element, which is very nice
for long range recording.

> He can also make use of more capsule options, including
> shotgun capsules.

The shotgun is the only element that fits on the 933 that does not fit on the
853. All of the other elements are the same.

> I'm going to buy a set for the shotgun capability (only
> the shotguns, I've got a much better solution for regular situations).
> However, what I use to record shows on my DAT is probably the best of the
> binaurals for the money, I use Oade binaurals which are based on a panasonic
> capsule and very carefully hand built by the Oade Bros., who've  been taping
> live shows for two decades. You can see them at
> http://www.oade.com/dat/microphones/micro.html and if you've got questions
> specific to your situation, you can send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (one of
> the Principles in the company). Jim's a very honest and approachable guy and
> will give you very good answers very specifically tailored to your exact
> circumstances.

Point well taken. The Oades are good guys to work with, and their modification
that they do to DAT decks is a nice alternative to using a battery box.

As a point of interest, to the best of my knowledge, all of the mic of this type
(using the Panasonic elements), by the various manufacturers (Core Sound,
MarcSounds, Sonic Studios and The Sound Professionals) are also hand made with
great attention given to the quality of the finished product.

As far as recording experience, I know Len at CS has been taping shows for a
very long time. I personally started making live recordings in the early 70's
using (gasp!) cassette and reel to reel decks. It still amazes me that my little
MD sounds better than my 60 lb reel to reel deck..  ;-)

Anyway, I hope this is useful info......

>                 Peace,
>                 Tom

Best regards,

Chris Carfagno