[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I found this blurb about Sony's latest blanks on Sony Europe's site,
> showing that even Sony (who certainly knows better!) is willing to
> spin out MD mythology:
>
>         Specific areas of the MiniDisc cartridge are treated with
>         Sony's specially developed coating, which greatly reduces disc
>         vibration to produce a clearer and richer sound than that of
>         other MiniDiscs. All Premium MiniDiscs and the new Color
>         Collection are to be treated with this coating.
>
> Rick

Well....

In theory their right. Less vibration results in less pick-up position
correction, which results in a more equalised load for the power-supply.

Since the DAC and the following analog part is also powered by this
power-supply, the output of the DAC is more stable and the analog circuit
is also more stable. Thus resulting in a 'clearer and richer' sound.

Offcourse most of this is bullshit since the fluctuations in the power
supply will be so minimal that the normal human ear can't even hear the
difference.

And then there is the problem of fluctuation in the mains.... How is
Sony going to solve this problem? Are they going to use the same coating
inside the power-generators at the power-plant? That way the power would
be generated with less vibrations, thus resulting in a 'clearer and
richer' sound...

Cheers,
Ralph -> Going to invest in a big UPS to remove the fluctuations in my
         mains......

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE