> Wow.  Thanks for all the info.  Just out of curiosity, what kinds of sound
> cards _are_ capable of coding bit 29 onto the signal?

There is a PCI one based on the a Xilinx chip that allows complete control
of all 32 bits!  They even have a neat monitor program that lets you see the
status of various bits.  But, as I remember, its $499.

The reason such cards are so expensive is not because they're complex
circuits, but because they don't have the bells and whistles that make them
sell to the average consumer.  There's no economy of scale in the production,
hence the high price.