John S. McLachlan wrote:

> >Just wanted to inform your site that the Melting Pot is now conducting
> >auctions of new MD walkmans and CD discmans on E-bay.  We believe that this
> >will allow a consumer the ultimate in pricing!
>
> I'd take this notice with a grain of salt.   having checked both ebay and
> amazon for some time, I find 99% of the 'new' stuff on auction ends up
> goign for more money on auction than the retail price.  I've seen blank MDs
> go for $5 each - makes me want to slap some of these buyers....
>
> but i digress.    Just cuz these are on e-bay, don't expect any bargains...

I agree.  Auctions are strange animals. I have seen things sell for less
than market value and I have seen them sell for a lot more that market
value.  When it comes to an auction, you had better knkow what you are
buying and what is a good price for it and be willing to let it go if
some fool (or a phony bidder placing a sham bid) bids it higher than is
should sell for.

In one case, I saw a banjo mandolin sell for $135 and on a search of the
web, I found the exact same thing selling new for $95.00.

I have also seen a seller place sham bids under a phony name to bring
the price up to where thye wanted it.  I have had them out bid me and
then email that the other buyer didn't respond and and I could have the
item for only $$$$$ if I wanted it.

Like the guy says, just cause it's on Ebay, don't expect any bargans.

--
Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker

My first web page