Jeff Yerkey asked,

| I got my Sharp 702 from the Good Guys in San Francisco.  After a few
| hours, the red "REC" light died.  I took it back to be fixed.  (They
| could not replace it because they said Sharp is no longer shipping
| 702's.)
|
| After they returned it, the red REC light still does not work in Record
| mode.  Am I missing something finicky with this unit, or did they just
| not fix it?!?!  Thanks.

If I remember right, not owning the unit myself, this has come up before on
alt.audio.minidisc if not also here on MD-L.  Apparently there is a little
round thing that looks as though it should be an LED but isn't, and it
doesn't light up and isn't supposed to, but people kept asking why theirs
doesn't, and others kept answering that it isn't an LED in the first place.

Jeff, perhaps for the first few hours the light was striking your 702 at an
angle that illuminated the little red dot and made it seem to glow, but in
fact it never had lit up at all?

I recommend consulting the fluffy manual.  If it says somewhere that the but-
ton or dot or whatever it is should light up, then something is wrong.  If
the manual says specifically that it doesn't light, or if the manual never
addresses the matter, then figure that it shouldn't light up and that your
702 is working properly.