[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >If you don't know about test mode, DO NOT enter it.  It can do all
> >sorts of things, including rendering your MD unusable!  Seriously.
>
> Very wise words, BTW doesn't anybody have, or know where to find the Service
> Manual for the Sharp MD-MT20H ? I need that, so I will know what I'm doing,
> I've got the service manual of the MS200, but It's totally different :-(
>
> Oh, and to be more precise about what Test mode is, it's a mode which the
> people at the service centers use to find out what's wrong with it if it
> doesn't work anymore, and if you're lucky enough, they can even restore it
> to working order by only using Test mode. (If some settings somehow got
> messed up due to electrostatic fields, miswriting to the chip or whatever
> that could've happened). The problem here is that in test mode you can also
> mess up the settings of you're MD recorder, which can indeed render it
> useless.

Most common problem will probably be some 'dis-allignment' of the internal
mechanics. This can be corrected in testing mode.

For the rest.. Some devices will give you some technical information like:
- BLER (BLock Error Rate
- what's the head's possition
- version of the firmware
- etc.

Cheers,
Ralph -> without testmode...

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE