At 02:30 AM 10/1/99 +0200, you wrote:

>I'm planning on buying the Sony MZ-R37, however I've a lot lately about Sony
>releasing a high density MD format (650MB), is this true?? I'd hate buying a
>new MD just to find out a few weeks later of a new replacing format...

Buy, buy. Sony have just released their new portables, and they aren't HD.

Truth be told, there isn't much point increasing the capacity of MD right
now. Not from a manufacturers point of view. You could either reduce
compression- not really valuable, as ATRAC these days preserves audible
sounds near perfectly- or increase recording time. But the demand for
increased recording time is equally low- mono mode is sufficient for most.

Plus, increased recording time is going to reduce the number of blanks sold
any any rate. :-)

The costs of introducing HD MD at the moment outweigh the benefits. The
costs would be through the development of new equipment and the lost sales
through consumer confusion between HD and non-HD MD.

--
Archer
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6413/

End.