The JA3-ES does have a poor reliability record for optical blocks.
A number of us on MD-L, including me, have had disc content permanently
destroyed by faulty UTOC updates.
My JA3 was less than 12 months old when it started playing up - the block
was replaced under warranty in 1996 and (touch wood) has been fine ever
since.
(FWIW, I think Rick still has the link on the MD web site to shots I took
of my faulty optical block)

Tony, as for the JA-30 block problem, before you toss out the old head just
experiment a little with the Focus Bias and Laser Output settings - this
completely cured my MZ-R2 stuttering/'disc err' problems and Sony wanted
$550 Aus to replace the block......

GB

> Do you know if this also effects the JE3ES (has 2 Mic sockets on the
front)? A
> friends unit has started to regularly trash TOCs when he edits discs, and
I have