> David W. Tamkin wrote:
>
> Simon Barnes asked,
>
> | Where did this idea come from ?
>
> The idea came from the law.  blah blah blah blah Berne Convention blah
> blah
> copyright is automatic blah blah. M'Lud [your honor] {paraphrased}

HeaVEEE! I'll freely admit to having a dysfunctional personality, and a
shaky grasp of normal social conventions, but if someone tried to sue me for
violating their copyright over an email quotation, I'd be forced to punch
them. I think my original contention was that one could consider ANY email
to have been published once it has been committed to the Internet in plain
text.

Thanks, David, for your handy advice on how to quote.

simon

"The law is a arse" [based on an original idea by Charles Dickens]