"Moran Bentzur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>what does everybody this is the best sounding/best
>>valued headphones?  Both for a portable size and/or full-sized.
>
>portable: Koss ksc/35
>full-sized: Grado SR-60/80

These are great suggestions. There are better (in fact, *much* better)
headphones out there, but the improvements in sound quality over the
Grado SR-60's will be lost on a portable, due to the weak headphone amps.
In fact, most of the "better" headphones will actually sound worse due to
too little power. Once you get above a certain level, you really need a
dedicated headphone amp to drive quality 'phones. Even the headphone jack
on most home amps/receivers is designed for cheap consumer-level
headphones, and won't drive high-end headphones properly.

IMHO, the Grado SR-60s are hands-down the best-sounding 'phones that can
still be driven by any portable player, and at under $60 they are cheaper
than many of the Sony, etc. The SR-80s are in the grey area -- some
portables with weaker amps will not drive them as well. The only caveat
is that both the 60s and the 80s are less comfortable than some other
'phones.

The Koss ksc/35 are great "cheap" headphones. You can get them for around
$30 and they blow away anything else in the price range -- great bass and
overall very good sound. They aren't as good as they Grado's, but they
are half the price.

If you're looking for "physical activity" 'phones, the Koss Porta Pros
are the exact same thing as the ksc/35 but they have no headband -- they
have two separate "earphones" that clip over each ear -- I use them when
I run/work out and they are very comfortable and never slip off.