"  nick  " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>According to that portie comparison table that was mentioned
>recently, a noticeable difference between the '831 and the 'R90
>is that the Sharp has twice the amp power (10+10mW vs 5+5mW) I'm
>looking at the R90, because its a Sony :) and generally, it
>sounds like its rather cool, but I'm apprehensive about the amp
>power - how much difference does it make in this sort of
>situation?

More power will give you better bass response, and will of course let you
play louder (not always a good thing). The degree of difference is
dependent upon the headphones you use.

>ATM, it would be driving Sennheiser HD455's, which
>put out more than enough volume on a Sony walkman, and I've
>conveniently lost the spec sheet that came with it, so can
>anyone comment on a headphone amp difference between say, a
>5+5mW amp and a standard sorta Sony walkman?

Sennheisers always sound better with more power to drive them, and I find
that with any good headphones, a Sharp 702 sounds better than a Sony
MZR-50 simply because the sharp has 10+10mW while the Sony only has 5+5mW.