> Is the link from the MP3 file to the SBLive card to TOSLINK optical o/p =
> and minidisc optical i/p really 100% digital without a DAC in sight ? =
> Surely the great thing about the SBLive is its digital o/p. So why talk =
> about how great the SBLives DAC is for recording to MD??? I don't give a =
> sh#t if it's recording studio quality. I bought the SBLive and the optic =
> cable to go with my minidisc....DIGITAL, DIGITAL, and DIGITAL. Can =
> anybody clear this point up please ? Also, is there any way to prove =
> that what is coming from the SBLives digital o/p is 100% what was =
> decoded from the MP3 and not some half baked, slow cooked DACed/ADCed =
> version?

A. They merely mention the aleged high quality of the DAC (which is in fact
by far superior to the ultra crappy DACs found on their previous generation
cards, AWE32/64 etc.), for the purpose of playback through the analog output
of the card, not as a feature which has anything to do with digital
recording.

B. When in doubt, connect the digital output of the card to it's digital
input and play+record an mp3 file, then use winamp or whatever to decode the
original mp3 file into a standard linear PCM wav file and run a bit-by-bit
comparison of the recorded and the decoded wav files using one of many
shareware utils found on the net with that capability.

C. Do let us know if your finding are other than the expected (i.e. a
perfect match).