You are putting another variable in that we weren't talking about.  The
power tool is connected to an external power source that is grounded on
the neutral leg and usually a ground terminal is also connected.  People
won't get a shock from the 12 VDC, but from the malfunctioning power
tool.

The some dangers at the 12 volt battery terminals are,

1. at the terminals, it is an unfused power source.
2. It is capable of supplying a heavy current under a fault condition
and can cause burns as the tool heats up that causes the short circuit.
3.  It can weld the tool to the item is touches.
4.  it can burn wires up that the current flows through.
5.  The arc can ignite hydrogen the is generated by the battery.  (I
have seen a car battery explode and splash sulfuric acid all over the
engine compartment and the unwary mechanic, causing savere burns.

These are the reasons to disconnect the grounded terminal of a battery
before you disconnect the ungrounded terminal.

If you are working on the radio, then you should disconnect the hot lead
first.

Using an electric  power tool on a vehicle and not using a ground fault
interrupter is folly of you ask me. (But I have done it before they came
out.) In any case,  using a power tool doesn't have any baring on how to
disconnect the battery, which should always be disconnect the ground lug
first and reconnect it last, or be darn careful or you can get hurt in
more than one way.  They safest way is to disconnect the ground lug of
the battery.

--
Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker