Guy Churchill wrote:

>I accidently
> touched the positive terminal with the palm of my hand and had my
> naked arm resting on part of the battery clamp (was disconnecting the gear
> select levers at the time)  I'm not sure how long I was in this position
> but suddenly I started to feel a lot of pain in my arm ... a stinging, biting
> sensation.  And yes I actually burnt part of my arm (the place where I was
> resting my arm) ... I have a small burn mark,

My guess is it is an acid burn from the sulfuric acid that leaks out of
the battery and covers the battery and terminals.  It is a good idea to
clean the battery every so often by pouring a solution of water and
baking soda over it.  Be very careful that you don't get any of it
inside the battery though or it will be a dead one.  The baking soda
(sodium bicarbonate, or bicarbonate of soda) will neutralize the acid.

--
Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker

My first web page