Guy Churchill wrote:

> I have seen a Leatherman (one of those multi tool things) spot weld itself to the
>body
> of a car as the person cut through a wire and happened to have the handle part
> touching another piece of metal.  This was with the +ve connected and the -ve
> disconnected.  (made the person jump quite quickly too  <grin>)

The current that caused the Leatherman to spot weld didn't come from the
battery, because it was disconnected.  It most likely came from a
stiffening cap or somesuch in the supply leads to an amp, and any
combination of battery connections wouldn't have prevented it.

-cb <-Who's starting to wonder whether maybe you can draw a large
current from one terminal of a battery.  Certainly would require some
upgrading of all the single pole switches in our cars!