[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Um - I havent been following the thread that closely, but I recall the issue has
> to do with a CD that cant be recorded to MD... it "clips".

No, it drops out. It's just that for some reason the blame is being put on
"clipping". Even if it *could* clip, it still wouldn't drop-out.

> I have found that "newer" CDs (aka post say 1994) are recorder "hotter" db wise
> than older CDs (aka 1980's). Means I really do have to fiddle with the pre-fader
> levels on the DJM-500 on almost every CD...

Annoying isn't it. However......

    If you rip the music to your hard disc with the CD-ROM drive (chances are you
can do this at about 8x play speed or faster with modern PCs) you can use one of the
may sound editors out there to read the peak level. It's then just a case of moving
the record level to an appropriate position on the MD before you record. A bit of
messing about for daily use, but if you want to make as good a recording of a CD as
possible then that's one way you can ensure you don't clip.

One way to settle the debate about clipping preventing the CD from being recorded
would be to use Sound Forge or similar software to produce a sine wave at various
frequencies all peaking at exactly 0dB. Burn this direct to CD with a CD-R and then
try to record this in your CD player. I've just done this with mine and guess what -
no clipping and no drop outs. Not exactly very musical to listen to though......

--
Magic

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A book judged by it's cover makes for a very shallow read."