Keith Wilson wrote:

> Hello people, I just thought I'd let you lot know how _useless_ I think the
> extra guarantee is that Dixons offer you when you purchase any electronic
> merchanidise from them >:-C
>
> I bought a Sharp MD701 when they first came out and I payed 299UKP for it.
> When I was in the shop the nice assistant asked me if I wanted to take out
> any extra cover on the item. Seeing that it was a portable unit I thought
> that it would be an extremly good idea seeing as I would be using it in a
> gigging environment and it would be near pints of beer and drummers (prone
> to accidents).

Just a note on this. Did you know that equipment such as portable MDs,
camcorders etc. can often be covered by your Household insurance? It seems it
can. I managed to trash my 821 (dropped it and a bus ran over it- they're solid
but not THAT solid!). I thought I'd lost the thing, but I took it home and it
was only by chance a friend said to try phoning the insurance company to check
- so I did. It was covered - new MD arrives next week! :o)

> While it was away, we played our best gig to date...
> without being able to record it >:0[.

That's sods law and it happens to us all. Best gigs I've played with my band
have had something wrong with the recordings:
 - Sony JA3ES - optical block failed - disc trashed
- Sony R55 - guess who had the unit on pause the whole time - never trust a
drummer
- Aiwa F70 - Battery died on mics after first number - short circuit on mic was
draining the battery
- Sharp 821 - What does this button do? S**T I'VE WIPED THE F**KING DISC!!!

If Dixons don't get you sorted pretty quickly, can I suggest you tell them you
are leaving the store to go to trading standards and then do just that.
Sometimes they will advise you on your best course of action, and the advise is
free.

--
Magic

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound is
wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."