I have a SB Live! full version with both daugther
cards and have found your guessing at the problem to
be rather interesting.  However, let me give you the
real problem.  The problem is that the sound card is a
PCI device and as a result has to share the pci bus
with lots of other devices.  There is no real fix for
the problem.  I've found that a network card can cause
the problem to occur more often than other cards (some
cards can take priority thus causing the live to get
delayed data).  I was able to solve the skipping
problem by moving my Live! over a PCI slot.  It
doesn't seem to be an issue with IRQ sharing either.
It still shares an IRQ with other devices as it did
before, but now I can't make it skip no matter how
hard I try (that's a good thing).

      I can't really give you any more suggestions
than shuffling your PCI cards around a bit.  However
if don't use anything else at the same time you should
be sucessful with getting winamp to not skip on
playback (unless your HD's controller is causing the
problem).

Seth

(p.s. a p100 has enough power to play back mp3's and
run autocad 13 at the same time without skipping.  I
used to do it all the time)