On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Shawn M. Pierce wrote:
> And considering that ISA busses and PCI busses are on different pathways,
> a video card would not hold up a soundcard, its the other way around.
> Thats why when you take out all of your ISA cards, you get a 5-7% speed
> increase...I know this because I tried it.

I don't think so. In modern day systems, the ISA bus is attached to the PCI
bus with a bridge chip. With a PCI video card, the data flow to an ISA, or a
PCI, sound card can be interrupted by the data traffic to the video card. On
the other hand, with Intel chipsets, the AGP bus is seperate from the PCI
bus. So traffic to an AGP video card would not affect your PCI/ISA cards.

[snip]

> Have you ever looked at the bus scematic for BX chipsets?  PCI bus is on a
> different bus, the AGP is pretty much on the PCI bus.  ISA is on a
> different one.

I've got a PDF copy of the BX and PIIX4 chipset datasheet on my hard drive.
Look at page 12 of this document:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29063301.pdf

and you will find a nice block diagram of the bus architecture of a system
with an Intel BX chipset. You will also see that the ISA bus is attached to
the PCI bus by way of a bridge chip. It also shows that the AGP bus, is
totally seperate of the PCI bus.

> ***************The CPU has to send so much data to the graphics card, that
> it has no time to get data to the sound card, hence the
> stuttering*************.

The problem here is that video card manufacturers are writing their video
card drivers to be extremely agressive with bus utilization. They are
trying to squeeze every last bit of throughput from the bus that they can
get, to drive up their benchmark scores.

--
 Jason K. Fritcher
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]