I received the Sony MDS-PC2 from Video Direct.
I'll have a detailed review after I use it a bit.  This
information is for computer interface hackers...

Included with the MDS-PC2 is a Sony CAV-50C
RS232 <-> Control A1 interface.  I opened the
interface to find the following major components:

NEC 78082GA26 microprocessor with 5 MHz xtal
Maxim MAX3221 RS232 transceiver
Appears to be powered by the DTR and one other line,
connected through steering diodes and a 3 terminal regulator.

The CAV-50C says "VisionTouch" on its label, which
leads me to believe that it is also used in Sony's Home
Theater control system...