as a proud owner of an R50 I have to say it is cooler than the
R55.  The R55 is smaller and does have the backlit remote
it loses out on battery life and ease of use (jog dial)

The nearest replacement to it is the R37 which isn't in competition
with the R50 but with the R35 which it replaced.  The R90 is closer
to it though there is a combined port (line in/mic) I believe but don't
quote me.  The R50 has these as seperate ports and I think that makes
it easier and more convienent to use.

-Jeffrey