At 15:49 25/11/99 +0100, you wrote:

>Is there a way that I can connect my soundcard's SPDIF out to the optical
>input of a MD without any coverters (except a different cable)?
>
>/Jonas Josefsson

Probably not. For a start, you need an optical transmitter IC, which is
basically an LED with a driver. The optical transmitters which are
available (eg. Toshiba TOTX175, Sharp GP1F32T) need a TTL signal (5V) to
operate them. The S/PDIF output (if it's a proper one on a phono socket)
will only be 0.5-1V.

If the S/PDIF connector is just a PCB header (two pins, like where jumpers
go) on the soundcard itself, you may be in with a chance, since these are
often TTL level, so you could drive the optical transmitter directly. To
convert from the S/PDIF 0.5-1V requires a small circuit. The best one I've
found involves a 74HCU04, some 1N4148 diodes and a few capacitors and
resistors. If you need the diagram, I can email it to you.

Hope this helps!

Richard Wright