Remko van der Vossen wrote:

> >if you consider that a MD recorder can accept a streaming
> >digital input of CD quality audio (via the optical in), encode
> >it with ATRAC, AND write it to the disk, all in real-time -
> >then i think you'll find the bandwidth of the system quite
> >sufficient for removable media purposes on a PC.

> Mind you that 44.1 KHz stereo 16 bits is only 176 Kb/s and that
> ain't much at all,

That's the speed of a 1x cdrom drive... Anyone remember those things?
Compared to todays standards, it's awfully slow...

(The 44100*2*2 calculation is not 100% correct for minidiscs: ATRAC
compresses the audio data to 1/5 of the ammount, so transfer speed
could be reduced to 1/5 of 176kB/s, but the minidisc units still
read/write at full speed, and read/write operations only take 1/5
of the time; the unit is idle 4/5 of the time)

> granted a normal floppy drive is slower, but a decent Zip drive
> can easily manage 600 Kb/s

... which is one reason for zip's success and MD/Data's failure.

Despite all drawbacks, I would still like to see a decent MD/Data
drive: takes audio MDs, allows for 120-140 MB of data, will record
mp3s/wave files, let's me title discs via keyboard...

After all, minidiscs look far better than zip discs!
(Imagine booting your favourite OS from a "Hello Kitty" disc!)

Bye,
  Hannes