Tim wrote:
>I'm very new to this (MD) world but I have noticed that, when
>recording from my CD walkman to my Sony MZR55 using an
>analogue connection, there are a couple of my CD's which when
>recorded on to MD do not indicated individual tracks on the MD (ie.
>the whole album is recorded as track 1)

When recording in analog mode the recorder inserts track marks when it
detects silent passages (three seconds if I'm correct). If you are recording
a live performance CD (gaps between tracks are full of hand clapping) or a
CD that has no gaps between tracks the recorder can't know where to insert
track marks and will create on very large track.
Digital recording does not have this problem since the track information is
reported in the data stream. This is the main reason why I record digitally.
I can't really tell the difference in sound between a good analog (good
source, good cable) and a digital recording, but the track marks are always
there and that saves a lot of trouble. That and the fact that if I record
from an analog source I'm always double guessing myself ("Was that an analog
artifact ??? or maybe ATRAC ???"). When I record digital I know that I've
done the best I can.

>This is made all the more unusual by the fact that these same CDs
>have done so on previous occasions.

This isn't unusual. This is expected. These CDs have no gaps (or the gaps
are too short) and they will record this way every time.

Bentz -> BE DIGITAL :)