Seems like my radio often sounds better than the same song when I've
downloaded mp3's off the net on a good station. Maybe the boombox has
better speakers than the computer, or however they put the mp3's online in
the first place may have degraded it, but for almost anything, the sound
coming from the radio is better. Don't think you can hook it to the
computer by the headphone jack though.
At 02:30 AM 11/29/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Hey Ray,
>
>Re:  somehow it removed the ATRAC compression built into the recorder, and
stored raw MP3.

>Well.. no they record it via the sound card (so you loss twice: MP3 in
case of MP3 file and the ATRAC)
>but for my ear (which is not the best in town it's OK - specially since I
listen to music while I commute so for me it's similar if not better than
FM quality. which is fine - you know car and cluttered background noises)
>I wonder what do you think about listening to MP3 via your PC speakers
(the experience I have with Voquette's recording onto an MD is quite similar).

>Re: From a marketing point of view MP3 will be superb - solid state
recorder, cheaply produced, but expectation high so folk will pay for it,
download small files over whatever, instead of storing bulky Cd's.

>Yes I think marketing it is good (but time will tell). However I still
download smaller files using MP3 and I like the MD format for traveling.

>Re: It needs some copy protection:
>
>I have not looked into it yet - I will update you (do you have any info
regarding this issue?)

>Re: In the limited experiments I've performed, I personally am not too
impressed with MP3 as regards sound quality, but then, I am not the rest of
the world. I have found that a 22 Mb wav sound file will at 128kbs
compression come down to 2 Mb in MP3, but the sound degrading is noticeable.

>I agree - but again, for me to listen to FM quality while I am on the go
is more than fine.

>Re: for speech when you want the content and not the quality - e.g.
technical briefings, etc. then that is fine.

>Again I agree and for me: This is a Killer App. > it save me time and it
gives me a the opportunity to listen to programs that otherwise I could not
allow myself to listen. (I tuned it once and I get it every day. I wonder
how long I will use it :-) .. I am using it now for more than a week .. and
enjoy it - and frankly this was the real reason I wrote to the group (not
because of music, although as I mentioned music is also OK). I enjoy the
fact that my PC wakes up every morning at 6:00AM connect to the Internet
and record for me Cnet Radio onto my MD and disconnect from the Internet -
that's cool!

>Re: I've been looking at the real-audio stuff, also, but not studied it at
all. They seem to say they have the same compression rates as MP3, but
better quality (according to them).

>They provide it with their RealJukeBox - I have not compared qualities -
but again for me it sound good.

>Re Atrac compression is at about 5 to 1, and its perceived quality is very
good,for most music. In fact I have heard that the recording of classical
type music is better than for raw CD, but it is not so good for more modern
music with fast
>moving dynamic range changes.
>
>ATRAC as others use psychoacoustics algorithms to compress the audio. and
with any loss compression you have to losses the question is where.

>Re: It would be nice to be able to store raw data on to standard md
devices - e.g. jpegs, spreadsheets, etc., but I believe the devices are not
built well enough to cope with this. If a few bits of a music track are
missing, then that can be compensated for in the decompression algorithm,
and I suspect this happens a lot in normal use. For data, however, the
overheads would be higher, this is
>probably why the digital md stuff is more expensive - it has to be
engineered differently.

>There is Data MD - not a big success yet. lets see what will be with the
new Sony digital camera that uses MD.

>Re ATRAC and Data MD
>
>That's not the way to go - they should provide a direct access to the data
and not via the ATRAC compression - as they do with digital camera

>Re: Sorry if this rambled on a bit, just thought Voquette were offering
something more than they were.

>For me (and again this is my personal take): they did a great job!
specially by providing me a real application that I use on a daily basis
(listen to my customized WEB audio programs, rather than listening to music
only or small talk on the radio - for free).
>Re Music I think that the ease of use of the Voquette VMM, of selecting
the MP3 files from the WEB and the fact that I can download and record it
onto my MD over night (when there is no net congestions) and I don't have
to sit and wait for it is great and its in one easy to use application. (I
agree that I would prefer an all digital recording, but even now the
quality is good)

>Re: what tech. info. is it you download?
>I saw their "take a tour" at www.voquette.com > click "take a tour" its
not very technical but this is what they currently have there.
>thy have some information in the products section.
>(Thanks to you I have just found that they support also a simple tape
recorder > connect it to the PC and get the same. I will check it and I
will update you on this as well. but it sound interesting since I don't
have a MD player in my car and I use a cassette adapter to play it through
my stereo and this can solve me this issues)