Hello,

About a year ago, I purchased a used Sony MDS-302 which worked fine but the
MD's recorded on this model skipped, mostly at the first track, when played
on a new portable player (Sony MZ-E25). The skipping symptoms were dropped
music (dead spots where silence was heard instead of music), a quick
movement from one area of the song to another (as if it was sped up
momentarily) and very slow cueing when play was initiated. Almost all the
time, MD's recorded on the 302 played fine on itself.  Infrequently, it
would skip on its own recordings.

I took the 302 unit to the Sony Service Center and they replaced the
optics. The problem persisted. I thought it was bad MD stock but tests with
a friend's new MD recorder disproved that theory. The skipping problem does
not occur all the time. I cannot see a pattern. It does seem to be more
prevalent with certain kinds of MD stock and is related, almost always, to
the first track.

The only conclusion I can draw is a slight incompatibility between the
older 302 unit and the newer models. Perhaps something with the Table of
Contents?

Had anyone else encountered this phenomena?

Thanks.