It sounds like maybe the sled that carries the optical block could be
sticking at the inner end of it's travel.
It could also be temperature related - extreme cold or heat causing more
errors...
It's probably worth taking  it back to Sony and explain that it is still
not fixed and emphasis the fact that the problem is always with track
one...
IMHO, it's not a compatibility problem

GB