> The calculated checksum/signature is used as an index in the data file
that
> stores the title info. This is the same approach used by www.cddb.com.
> There's already Linux support for cddb, so duplicating the Windows
approach
> is kind of silly. (And if you haven't checked out www.cddb.com yet, you
> should. They have track title info for a huge number of CDs, in all
> different genres. Heck, they even have the title info for *my* band's CD
> online. (check out http://highlandsun.com for some kick-ass Celtic
music...)
> If you're copying CDs to MDs and you have access to a PC for titling, you
> really need to know about this service, it'll save you hours in the long
> run.)
>   -- Howard

I really like CDDB, but it's strength is also a flaw - if you've got
millions of submissions from people (thus creating a huge database) there
isn't the time to check them for errors. About 80% of cddb lookups that I do
(before ripping CDs, etc) need correcting, either because some idiot can't
capitalise properly or straightforward spelling errors.

Some have been so bad I've re-done them all by hand - problem then is if you
re-submit the same album it doesn't replace the incorrect entry :)

Saved me lot of time when I ripped my albums (200 or so) over the summer
though..

Simon