Matt Vukin wrote:

> I know that cd-rs are expected to last about 30 years.  Is there a length of time
>after which md recordings are expected to fail or degrade in quality?  Also, can they
>be erased by magnets or xrays?
> (I do not yet have a player!)

An MD can certainly be damaged by a strong enough magnetic field.  I
sandwiched an MD between two very strong magnets pulled out of a
magnetron (component of a microwave oven).  Audio would still play, but
in certain spots, the song would skip ahead maybe a minute or so.
I'd say regular magnetic fields won't hurt them, but STRONG magnetic
fields will.  The magnetic field from the magnetron magnets was strong
enough to pick up the MD.

--
Shawn Lin
http://www2.cybercities.com/g/gmwbodycars/