Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 09:51:07 -0500
From: "J. Coon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MD: Build you own $100 Mics - Cheap!

Since the minidisc recorders have "plug in power" in the  mike circuit,
you can simplify the circuit and eliminate the battery, resistors and
capacitors and wire the capsules directly.  Also, sometimes it is more
convenient to not have to mess with cables.  So, here is a T mike that I
designed http://www.tir.com/~liteways/Mandolin.html#Microphone

It may be a little easier to build.  Take your pick.  I don't know if
your capsules are the larger ones or the small ones, but the should be
able to work in either design.

Jeff Medin wrote:

> I have some matched PANASONIC mic capsules for sale under MICROPHONES at
> the MD Classified page. Build your own Mics! Check out
> "http://www.arches.uga.edu/~tidmarsh/binmic.html"
>
> These are the capsules you will need AND they are already MATCHED FOR
> YOU!
>
> Jeff

Jim there are some distinct ADVANTAGES to using the External Mike
Battery Power as described in Tidmarshs' article.

1). Internal MD mike power is low on most MD machines.  The Microphone
sensitivity of electret Mics (almost always) goes down (by 1/2 or more!)
when using only the meager 1.5 Volts (or so) provided by the MD player
at the "MIC INPUT" on the MD recorder.

NOTE:The "MIC INPUT" is usually much more sensitive for "softer" source
material because it usually has an amplifier associated with it to pick
up those hard to hear sounds.  This is good for soft music or lectures
and such.

2). You can record LOUDER sounds (those with MUCH HIGHER SPL -- Sound
Pressure Levels) using the Battery Box. This is because the Mic will not
distort as easily with loud sounds, because it has more voltage (9 volts
vs. 1.5) powering the Mic element, allowing better performance.  Using a
Battery Box/Mic Combo plugged into the "LINE INPUT" (NOT the "MIC
INPUT"!) will give you a much better recording at any type of "loud"
concert or event where sounds are louder than "normal" and vary widely.

3). The DYNAMIC RANGE of the (un-powered) "LINE INPUT" (where you plug
the Mics & battery box in) is SUBSTANTIALLY larger than that of the
(powered) "MIC INPUT".  If you are going to do ANY type of recording
with a large dynamic range, you WANT to use the "LINE IN".  But because
it does not supply power to the Mics like the "MIC IN" does, hence the
need for the added circuitry.

Using a battery box at a concert means that you can basically set the
recording level for the LOUDEST thing your gonna hear and set it
somewhere between -4 and 0 dB.  Then put your MD in your pocket and
enjoy the WHOLE show.

Among the problems already mentioned, by using the "MIC INPUT", you will
be adjusting the recording levels every few seconds.

In closing, the merits of the PANASONIC WM6x mic capsules are well known
throughout the industry.  That is why some companies use THESE Mic
capsules to make Mics that cost from 100 to over 200 dollars! People
"in-the-know" specify and use ONLY THE PANASONIC WM6x and use them by
the zillions!

The Mics (capsules) are about the size of a pencil eraser -- I think
it's something like 6 mm Diameter X 5mm for the WM60A's

Jeff