Dan Frakes wrote:

> But doesn't the MS-702 have an older version of Sharp's ATRAC? My
> impression was that the 722 and other post-702 MDs had a newer version.
> If this is the case, then you would really need to do a side-by-side
> comparison of the 722 and a Sony unit.

The 722 DOES exhibit the ATRAC bug that appears when recording the
French horn.  I now have access to an 831 so when I get some time I'll
try recording the same sound on it to see if it also exhibits the bug.

I have done a fair bit of listening to both Sony and Sharp ATRAC
recordings and although my ears are far from golden, I have heard
undesirable compression artifacts on some Sharp recordings that are
simply not there with the same material on a Sony.  I have never heard
an artifact on a Sony recording.

-cb