For the kid with the French Horn, I'd like to recommend the oft-forgotten
Aiwa AM-F70. It can adjust recording levels on the fly, and uses Sony's
ATRAC system. Not that I've ever personally had anything go wrong with a
Sharp recorder.

More to the point, the Aiwa can be had for 249.00 online at outpost.com and
minidisco. If you happen to live close to a Tweeter store, they have it for
$199 brick-n-mortar.

Also, to Jeffery asking about the least expensive optical-out CD player,
Tweeter has an unbelieveable deal on Sony's Discman D-E551...$49.99 (only
in stores) -- with MD-link.

-- Katz