Someone just mentioned this, and its got me wondering - Whats the deal with
portable DVD? Why would you pay that much for a DVD player+screen combo when
you can get a reasonable sized TV, a cheap-ish surround setup and a few DVD
titles for the same money?

And whats the point of portability on the thing anyway? Sure, you can still
use it as a home DVD player, but for that money you could get one helluva
deck, and a bit more on the side (about $A3000). I thought the strength of
DVD was the introduction of surround sound, amoung other things, to
disc-based movies. A movie is a "sit down and enjoy" experience, not a "15
mins in the car on the way to work" Wouldn't a portable system kill the DVD
benefits of surround sound if you were gonna use it on the road?

Does anyone own one of these things? Enlighten me on it? :)

Nick -> picturing a 'surround sound hat,' with front, centre, and rear
headphone drivers, with optional top-of-head subwoofer