[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> You write:
>
> >I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the reviews posted on the site
> >seem to be more like "the other guys" versus "Sony".  For example, the
> >lastest review is a direct comparison between one of Sharp's lower-end
> >models and Sony's MZ-R50...there's a lot of this "comparison" stuff going on
> >and i'm wondering why that is?  Does everyone hate Sony?  Cause a lot of the
> >reviews seem to be giving Sony a hard time...infact the latter review made
> >the R50 sound useless.

I need to read that review... It's the first time I hear something 'bad' about
the
MZ-R50.

> >   A couple of months ago, I turned to this site to look at the reviews so I
> >could decide which MiniDisc recorder I wanted to buy.  In my mind, I figured
> >a Sony would do the job (afterall they invented the technology), but i found
> >that almost all the review articles said "this one's better", or "Sony's
> >models are too pricey and don't have enough features like a jog-dial or an
> >illuminated screen on the actual unit".  Well, I was pretty upset.  I figure
> >all machines are good...there's no such thing as a perfect MiniDisc
> >player/recorder.  But in the end, I bought the Sony MZ-R55, and frankly, i'm
> >very happy I did.  It's a flawless system, save for the poor battery system.

duno the MZ-R55. Except that it hasn't been 'well received' by our community...

> As you note, Sony created the MD format. They are also the MD market
> leaders in terms of reputation, product range, and market share. Sony
> takes advantage of their position though by charging a premium for
> their equipment. I guess this is just normal business practice, but it
> does end up that units from other manufacturers often have more
> features and cost less. (I will leave the issues of reliablity and
> audio quality aside.)

IMHO Sony has a name. Point. That's it. It doesn't have anything more or less
than comparable brands like AIWA or Sharp. All make things that last long and
are reliable. Features are likewise, but the price of the Sony is way higher
since they have a name.....

> >  And I can't believe the amount of attention I get from people when I walk
> >around on the streets with this TINY machine in my hand...it's like the
> >eight wonder of the world or something.
>
> >   Anyway, I figured I would vent my frustrations, seeing as how there
> >aren't many Sony supporters out there (I imagine there are...but certainly
> >not in those awful comparison to SONY reviews).  Later.
>
> Don't worry, I think there are plenty of Sony supporters in the MD
> world. The reviewers are (rightly) just saying that you shouldn't
> automatically assume that a Sony unit is the right one for you.

That's the whole point. I don't know if Sony portables have a higher build
quality than other units. But seeing the problems they have with their
low-to-middle end line of home recording decks (ie everything except the
ES series)..... I have some doubt.

I have a Sony MDS-S38 home recording deck with the dreadfull turn-on bug,
a Sharp 702 that still functions okay and a MDX-7900R MD-Head in the car.
I can live with the turn-on bug since the deck works wonderfull for the
rest. My 702 isn't used that much anymore. Except sometimes as a player
for my grilfriend. The MD-head is however used a lot and still in good
shape.

I think that you can't go wrong with either Sharp or Sony. Both feel and
look reliable enough.

Cheers,
Ralph
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE