[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Sorry, but I have a couple of more questions. what is a TOSLINK =
> connecter/transmitter or reciever?  What do they do?  Do i need one of =
> these TOSLINK connectors if I have a sound card that has a RCA digital =
> output?  Do I need a sound card with didigtal outputs to record =
> digtitally?

Don't be sorry, everybody has questions. Think like this, you've got the guts
to ask the question!

A TosLink connection is used to connect a digital playback device (CD-Player)
and a digital recording device (MD recorder) with a fibre optic cable. The
optical cable has the advantage that it is imune for electrical interference.
Thus less errors are expected. The socket at the back of the CD-Player that
'outputs' an optical digital signal is called a TosLink transmitter. The
socket that receives an optical digital signal on the MD recorder is called
a TosLink receiver. A TosLink cable with a TosLink connector on both end
connects between both of them.

If you're MD recorder has a RCA type digital in (better known as coaxial digital
in), you can connect the coaxial digital out directly to your coaxial digital
in of your MD recorder. If not, you need a coaxial to TosLink converter. This
is a little device that changes an electrical digital signal into an optical
digital signal (coaxial -> optical) or visa versa.

>............ Also, How can I get my mini disc to play in a car that only =
> has a CD player?  Is there a way that I can connect my mini disc player =
> to a CD player, and make the music work?  Please explain as I am new to =
> the MIni DIsc World.  Thank You.  Basil Fakhry.

Hmmm..... I think that's going to be difficult. I only see two sollutions:
1) an RF modulator
   This is a little device that connects to the antenna in of your car
   CD player. It takes an input signal and converts this into a 'radio
   station' that can be captured with the radio part of your CD-player.
   Advantages:
     - It gives you virtually an extra input on your in dash CD-player
   Disadvantages:
     - Many listmembers have reported drifting of the signal from the
       RF modulator. This makes it difficult to keep locked to this
       signal
     - FM is limited to 15kHz bandwidth
2) If your head is a Sony, big chances that you can connect a MD-changer.

Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE