> I am thinking of something similar.
>  Sony MD520 (bought last year)

I am thinking of the Sony MDS-JE 530 for ADC, it shoudl have a 24bit ADC.

>  Hoontech SoundTrack Yamaha XG with XG DBI (digital interface)

Attention: no bit by bit conversion!

> (value-for-money)
> or
>  Hoontech SoundTrack 4ch (performance)

The SoundTrack Digital 4DWave NX
(http://www.hoontech.com/product/soundcard/STdigitalNX.htm) with the ST DB
III should do bit by bit with the digital out under Linux, but *not*
Windows. I have no information if bit by bit works with the digital input
too.

I have heard of the Audio Excel AV510 Sound Card (see
http://www.plompy.free-online.co.uk/richard/av510/av510.html) which should
work bit by bit with 44kHz. The AV510 and AV511 have a very bad reputation,
but are very cheap and do nothing else then input/output.

Note, the Soundblaster do not bit by bit copy!

But maybe there is another problem with the AV510/511. There is a rumour,
that 24bit is supported, but tests showed that this is not true. What
happens, if I connect the 24bitADC from a Sony to this card, which supports
20bit only?

In the last weeks the AV510 has been discussed in the german de.comp.audio.

Bert