> What do you mean by "bit by bit conversion". I make digital copies in both
> directions from minidisc to a Hoontech Yamaha XG with the DBI digital
> connector, and it works perfectly.

I believe you, but the question is, if you hear it or in other words, if you
need it. I am not a technician and I am writing what I read in de.comp.audio
and other sources.

I think the German distributor of Hoontech wrote that the XG doesn't support
it.

As far as I remember this is a problem with AC-97 CODEC and Microsoft. Most
soundcards work with 48kHz internally and therefor a 44.1kHz signal has to
be converted by calculating more bits.

Maybe someone could tell us more about bit by bit copy. Probably it is the
wrong mailinglist to talk about it. People who are using MD don't care about
bit by bit copy, since ATRAC is probably a bigger problem for true sound
than convert signals from 44.1 to 48kHz and back again for MD or CD.

I am in this mailinglist because I would like to discuss to use MD for
converting analog signals to digital only without using the ARTAC
compression.

Bert