Hi guys,

This MD vs MP3 thread just isn't gonna stop!  I can't decide which post to
reply directly from, so I'll just post my thoughts.

Until Flash memory prices drop *DRAMatically*, undercutting DRAM memory
prices massively, tiny portable MP3 players are strictly a geeks' gadget.  These
portable HD MP3 players are strange beasts-- I originally thought any impact
to a hard-disk could cause a head crash but with laptops having 2.5" drives
everywhere thought they could survive minor drops.  I'm not talking about a
3 foot fall to a pavement, but surely they could survive the average jog [and
with buffer memory minimise skips].

I personally feel MD is currently the best portable storage media for music
thanks to the work put into optimising the ATRAC algorithm, largely by Sony.
A 40-sec anti-shock memory will prevent playback interuption under most
usage situations, but hey, given how MP3 porties have a lot more memory,
they could easily give an MD 120-sec memory for a tiny cost which should
cover most situations.  Okay-- if you keep changing tracks, reading all that
in advance will increase current drain but it could be switchable like on many
portable CD players.

As for internet access in europe, most of us have to pay by the minute for our
phone call in Britain at present, but the situation is changing rapidly.  Once we
had to pay a monthly charge (say ukp15) and a local-rate call (roughly ukp1
per hour).  Then a provider abolished the monthly charge and the rest were
forced to follow, sort of a domino effect.  Now the major telephone providers
in Britain are being forced to introduce free-call access but with a monthly
charge again.  I've heard my provider [Telewest] will allow unlimited 24x7
access for ukp10/month.  I just wonder how long it will be until the monthly
charge drops and access is completely free :-)

And finally I'll say most of you under-estimate how much peeps know about
MiniDisc, at least here in the UK.  Most guys I've talked to in their twenties
or late teens have at the very least heard of it, though many have yet to buy
into the format.  Some sort of digi-link to a computer is essential, I think to
persuade PC owners to go MD rather than MP3.

Thats my 2 groats worth!

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -- "if it harms none, do what you will"
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://website.lineone.net/~princegaz/
ICQ: 36892193

Earn a minimum of $20 per hour by watching ads on the net!
Visit http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=10164669